Fermented Lemon Kombucha Ice Cream, Elderflower Pears + Ginger Crumble
To celebrate October Gut Healing Month, here we encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and try a fermented dessert.
This one is truely something else…
Equipment - Ice Cream Maker + Dehydrator
¾ cup cashews, soaked
2-4 tbsp kombucha, kefir or probiotic capsule.
½ cup lemon juice
250ml coconut cream
¼ cup kombucha
1/3 cup agave
1 zest of a lemon
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp arrowroot powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups activated hazelnuts
½ cup oat flour
2 tbsp coconut sugar
4 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp ginger powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
½ cup agave
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp fresh elderflower
1 cup water
½ cup coconut sugar
2 cups fresh elderflower
4 strips lemon peel
1. To make the ice-cream, blend the cashews and kombucha or probiotic capsule until smooth, and place in a bowl covered with a cheese cloth. Put bowl in the dehydrator for 24-36 hours at 46 deg C to ferment.
2. Add the fermented cashews mixture to the remaining ice-cream ingredients, and blend until smooth. Put mixture into an ice-cream maker for 60 minutes or till an ice-cream consistency is formed. Put ice-cream into a metal loaf tin, and place into the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes to firm up. If you don't have an ice-cream maker, freeze portions of the mixture into snap lock bags, and place frozen mixture in batches into a high speed blender or food processor, until it reaches a fluffy ice-cream consistency.
3. To make the crumble, place hazelnuts in a blender and pulse into a fine flour. Mix all remaining ingredients and hazelnuts together in a bowl with your hands, till combined. Crumble onto a dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate overnight or until dry and crisp.
4. To make the syrup, mix ingredients in a glass jar and place in dehydrator for 24-36 hours till reduced into a thick syrup.
5. To make the peaches, put water and coconut sugar into a pot over medium heat, till sugar is dissolved. Add remaining poached peaches ingredients and simmer on a low heat for approximately 90 minutes. Allow to cool.
6. To serve, scoop ice cream into bowls and top with crumble, peaches and a drizzle of syrup
#tworawsisters + tag us in your creations
we would love to see them